Looking for properties for sale in Santa Cruz? Despite the current challenges, the real estate industry is still chugging along. After all, people still need to sell and buy houses. The good thing about real estate transactions today is that much of them can be conducted remotely/digitally, and in-person contact can be limited. There is, though, one aspect that remains the same. And that is that at some point (usually after initial online shopping and then maybe virtual tours) buyers will need to view a property in person. So let’s consider some best practices for viewing properties for sale in Santa Cruz during COVID-19.
Some General Cautions and Guidelines
Virtual tours and virtual showing of properties for sale in Santa Cruz have and will continue to supplant traditional in-person showings during COVID-19. That’s simply the reality now and the (apparently) the new normal. Both buyers and sellers should be very cautious about showings and walk-throughs.
Virtual showings are encouraged, but when that just won’t do the trick, here are some things to do:
- Always keep in mind that your health is more important than anything else.
- During a viewing, don’t touch anything. A good practice is to keep your hands in your pockets.
- Try to observe all the CDC’s guidelines.
- If you’re sick, don’t go.
- Make sure the number of people involved will be limited.
- Practice social distancing.
- Wear proper PPE.
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer often.
Checklists of Best Practices
For in-person viewings of properties for sale in Santa Cruz, here are some specific steps you should take and things to be aware of . . .
AGENT- AND SELLER-RELATED
Your agent and the seller have certain obligations, including the following:
- Your agent should inform you whether anyone involved in the viewing has a cough, fever, or shortness of breath. If so, call it off.
- The seller should inform you whether anyone involved in the viewing has a cough, fever, or shortness of breath. If so, call it off.
- Your agent should encourage and help you to refrain from touching anything in the house.
- Agent and seller should work together to ensure social distancing is maintained.
- Both should wash their hand and/or use hand sanitizer.
- Sellers should have sanitized all commonly touched surfaces such as countertops, cabinet pulls, doorknobs, faucet handles, and light switches.
- Everyone should remove their shoes and wear protective booties along with other PPE.
(To find out more about how your local agent can help you stay safe when viewing Santa Cruz properties for sale, call 831-588-2334.)
YOUR (BUYER) BEST PRACTICES
The things you can and should do when viewing properties for sale in [market-city] include:
- Not shaking hands.
- Washing “your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.”
- Avoiding touching your mouth, eyes, or nose.
- Practicing “social distancing by staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately six feet) from others when possible.”
- Avoiding close contact with anyone who exhibits anything close to symptoms of COVID-19.
- Staying “home if you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath or any other cold or flu-like symptom.”
- Covering “your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or cough or sneeze into your sleeve.”
Additional Protective Steps
Any list of best practices for viewing properties for in sale in Santa Cruz during COVID-19 should include what you can do to minimize in-person viewings and minimize risk when you get there. Some of the most important things are:
- “Do your due diligence ahead of time, to minimize the time you’ll need touring a home.”
- “Request additional photographs, or a video.”
- “Identify places that need your ‘hands-on’ visit before the tour, so that you can minimize what you need to touch.”
Expectations for Your Agent
Your agent is also responsible for helping you minimize risk and stay safe while viewing properties for sale in Santa Cruz. A couple of your most important expectations should be as follows:
- Your agent “should be able to clearly describe how [she is] reducing the risk of infection to [her] clients (both homeowners and buyers), and should clearly communicate that masks are required by the prospective buyers.”
- Your agent should also provide gloves (in case you or the seller doesn’t have them) and take care of opening doors and cabinets and turning on lights so that you don’t have to. A good agent will also make sure to limit the number of people present and encourage proper social distancing.
We should also include among our best practices for viewing properties for sale in Santa Cruz during COVID-19 your responsibilities as a potential buyer.
First, you should schedule a showing only if you are serious. There’s no point in exposing yourself and others to risk and the possibility of contracting COVID-19 if you aren’t truly serious about buying a property.
Second, simply be responsible. Agents have strict guidelines they must follow, but you also have to do your part. “[W]hen it comes to safety, you should also set your own boundaries and convey them to your agent before scheduling a showing.”
The Agent Advantage
As you can see, then, best practices for viewing properties for sale in Santa Cruz duringCOVID-19 include not only what you need to do, but what your agent should do. A local real estate agent can help you find the house you want and keep you safe. So if you’re ready to safely view properties for sale in Santa Cruz, contact us today at 831-588-2334.